Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why the Love Fest with Jimmy John's?

I truly in my heart despise Jimmy John's. I know I am the ONLY single, solitary person in the entire western world that feels this way – since everyone I know LOVES this place. But I really am baffled as to why. WHY? Gourmet sandwiches are so 2008.

My husband, of course, LOVES Jimmy John's, and I think if he hadn’t married me – he would have married Jimmy John. In my mind – nothing in my life has been more overrated with such cult-like followers than JJ. For my husband, it’s gotten to the point where if he knows he’s going to be eating without me, for any reason whatsoever, he immediately makes a beeline for JJ.

So today, some family friends suggested we go there (poor Karl was out of town), and they are the kind of friends who are so remarkable in every way that I couldn’t bear to have them thinking they are unfortunate enough to know the only person in the whole world who doesn’t like Jimmy John's.

So we went.

I thought – I’m sure I’m overreacting – I haven’t given it a CHANCE. Ha!

I am there with my two children and say to the pleasant looking cashier - “Well, to start. I’ll just get a kids meal.”

Nope, no kids meal. They suggest a “slim” – which is apparently what most kids get – just the bread with meat and cheese.

I try to order The Number 4 (the slim with turkey and cheese) – and they say “No – it’s not The Number 4. Just The 4.”

“Ok, Ok, my mistake. Just The 4 then.” I say (clearly I’m trying to pull a fast one). They smile.

“With mayo. “ They stop smiling.

You can’t have The 4 with mayo. Obviously that wouldn’t be slim any more. God forbid you bulk up a slim sandwich with mayo. So they direct me to The Number 4.

It’s been a slow start, but now I’ve successfully managed to order The Number 4.

“Can I make that the meal deal?” – I ask, with some hesitancy. I don’t want to expect too much.

“Um…do you mean the Combo?”

“Oh, yes…yes…the Combo.” (they really should change that to “Meal Deal” I’m thinking).

“Sure – do you want the pickle OR the cookie OR the chips?”

“Or?”

“Yes…Or.”

“Well…I want all three” (I’m quickly failing to see where the combo part is coming into play). They smile.

“And can I have milk?” They stop smiling.

“No, we don’t have milk.”

I was reaching for the stars here.

At this point my father pipes in from behind me and asks if they have coffee – No, no coffee. You too, dad, want to have it all.

“OK – well – can you warm up the baby food for me?” Most places do this.

“No, no way to do that.”

“Alright – well just add a drink then.”

“That will be $12.45.”

Wow - $12.45 for my combo (very appropriately not named a Meal Deal) and extra drink. It must have been the pickle AND the cookie that pushed it over the edge.

Finally I sit down with my sandwich, prepared to share it with my 3 year old. It’s not divided. Now I need a knife to cut it.

“No ma’am – we don’t have knives.”

Of course.

“We can cut if for you.”

How very helpful.

So again – I pose the question. WHY the love-fest with Jimmy John's?

High point about South Africa. NO Jimmy John's.

5 comments:

  1. My husband would have married soccer. And he always goes to Taco John's when I am out of town :-) Jill Carson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - ha! Yes, it seems every man has a fast food weakness their wife doesn't support. For my brother it's Long John Silvers (perhaps worse than Jimmy John's).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not Jimmy John's target customer. You my friend, are officially old. Jimmy John's is what it is, that's what works for them, and it will not change. That is why Jimmy is so absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie: I totally agree with you! What is the big deal? It's bread and meat, it's not a new invention. We went once or twice when it first opened and haven't been back since. I however have my husbands full support on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie - that just might be some of the funniest stuff I've read in a l-o-n-g time! (Runs a close race with the "poo" incident at CoCo Key) Lori

    ReplyDelete