Saturday, May 22, 2010

Clomp, Clomp, Clomp

Shoes definitely make my “top 5 things in life" list (besides the obvious God, family and friends).

That list, in no particular order…

1. A good appetizer
2. An interesting conversation that leaves both parties feeling hilarious and heard
3. Checking it off my list (completion is like air to me)
4. Dishwashers and clothes driers (the two best things about the average American household)
5. Shoes

I love, love, love shoes!

Since I’ve come to Africa, my high-heels have been on hold and I am existing on a footwear diet of flip-flops and flats.

I miss my BOOTS – little did I know people actually wear boots here - now that it’s a freezing 13 degrees (13 degrees Celsius, that is – which is about 55 degrees Fahrenheit) – or I would have brought mine with me.

At the moment, I mostly wear my dress flats – and people say they know it’s me coming – with my notorious “clomp, clomp, clomp” (I can’t help this brisk walk-like-I-have-a-million-things-to-do clomp – I know it’s a bit freaky and out of place in this slower-paced ocean town – but I feel compelled to GET SOMETHING DONE and walking fast is the first step to getting there, I say).

Growing up my brother always walked about 20 yards behind me and now my husband walks about 10 yards behind me. I don’t get this – it’s a consistent 10 yards – which means he’s walking at the exact same pace as I am– but when I wait for him to catch up so we can walk together (clearly to reflect our perfectly united marriage), we end up walking SO SLOWLY. I know in some cultures wives are supposed to walk a few yards behind their husbands and I can honestly say I don’t think that would have worked out well for me.

So back to shoes - Jensen is fascinated that some people don’t wear shoes in restaurants, malls, and most stores. She will often say in the grocery store, “Look at THAT girl, mom! She doesn’t have on any SHOES! WHY not? Can I take mine off too?” (the germaphobia in me insists on shoes in the traditional “no shirt, no shoes, no service” establishments – of which there are no such signs or corresponding regulations).

Even Emme, tired of her fabulous toys, takes great delight in her “shoe box” and carefully examines each shoe daily.



And on this topic – the one teacher who attended our adventure camp only brought one pair of dress shoes with him (incidentally, no one seems to know what “dress shoes” are – they call them “formal shoes” – I guess dresses are for girls?).

He ran the entire INSANELY long and grueling obstacle course in his imported leather formal shoes. I was impressed and felt guilty I would not have sacrificed my leather boots for team building!

Which brings me to my thought today…

One of my friends in Ocean View life has been CHANGED by God. She stopped doing crystal meth (called “tik” here) cold turkey about a year ago – which is nearly impossible without rehab. Every day I’m inspired with how her life reflects God in such a dark, depressing place like Ocean View.

Yesterday she told me that her daughter’s 2 year old birthday was that day and how she almost sold her body for money to buy birthday cake a few minutes ago. For cake?! A few minutes ago?

She was smack dab in the middle of this temptation when she realized “Oh - I need to get to Bible study to meet Julie.” So she left the shady character (aka Pimp Daddy Cake Provider) and came to our Bible study. Thank God!

I told her we’d love to bring her some birthday cake and that Jensen would insist on a present. When I asked her what her daughter would like she said “Really? Can I say what I want? Please no toys – just a pair of shoes for her.”

Did someone say shoes?!

Today we brought her some birthday cake…and two pairs of shoes.





I see clearly that there is a battle in Ocean View – a serious battle for the very minds, hearts and lives of these precious daughters of the Living God.

How do we fight this battle?

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. (Ephesians 6:14, 15)

Those are the shoes I want to wear every day…every second…every moment…bringing the gospel of peace.

Gospel literally means “good news” and it is GOOD NEWS that there is a peace that the darkness cannot prevail against…even in the crack flats of a South African township.

Clomp, clomp, clomp!

Here is the "Happy Birthday to Charlize" video: http://vimeo.com/11961827

6 comments:

  1. Julie, I love reading your blog. Your sense of humor never ceases to make me smile, and when I am amused as something you're saying, WHAP! there it comes, a deep truth to smack me upside my head. This post had me laughing several times, then I nearly cried at the thought of the mom who so wanted to be able to give her daughter a birthday cake that she'd sell her body. Know that your presence and friendship is being used by God to bring encouragement to a dark place. Keep writing (cuz I really enjoy reading it!) but more importantly, keep being Jesus (in the way that only you can) to those around you. God bless you and your lovely family! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Linda. The only thing I love more than shoes is blog comments. Miss you much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me cry! Oh, how I long to wear the shoes of peace as you do, even when walking into the darkest places. Thanks for walking ahead of me. BTW, as of May 31st, I'm "unemployed" or "God-employed" depending on the way you look at it. I leave for Guatemala June 22. I've officially reached the "I can't believe this is really happening!" stage. Know I'm praying for you all, and am so grateful I got to meet you at the Christ for the City training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I LOVE your blog! You are an amazing woman, can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on my reading today. I really love your blog. You do a great job handling these issues. I laugh and cry while reading. You're putting me on an emotional roller coaster!!! Seriously, you're doing an amazing job and your writing is continually improving.
    p.s. Does Emme really inspect each individual shoe daily!?! I LOVE that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. Lana J is really Brandy H

    ReplyDelete