Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sleep is for Sissys

Ahh….20 hour flights with children. God bless the other passengers.

Great to be back on American soil! Let me recap the highlights of flying home this week.


#1. LUGGAGE IS OVERRATED: We got on board in Cape Town around midnight on Saturday night. Good thing Karl realized half-way through the luggage check-in process that they were only sending our bags HALF-WAY to America. You know, just everything we need for the next few months in the US. What-eva.

#2. SLEEP IS FOR SISSYS: On the first stretch from Cape Town to Amerstam (from midnight to 8 am), I thought – this is GREAT! The girls will sleep…they are EXHAUSTED BEYOND WORDS. Emme participated in the plan, but Jensen was so excited about the er-plane that she slept an hour. Yes, ONE HOUR, folks. I was delighted.

#3. SECURITY IS A LITTLE JACK BAUER: Amerstam has the most impressive security in the world. You can’t buy a bottled water IN THE AIRPORT and bring it onto the plane – because they do an additional security check at the gate. They gave us a mini interrogation about why we had been to Afghanistan two years ago and the security risk of our possibly-sketchy -housemates back in Cape Town (we had been living with another couple that had access to our luggage).

He was so serious - I wanted to confess to every crime I had committed since 2nd grade - including writing a letter to our neighbor about the mistreatment of their mangy half-starved dog and making Mrs. Wilson cry (I mean really – how much stock can you put into an animal rights letter written by a 9 year old?) and dressing my brother up like a girl and parading him around the neighborhood calling him Christina (it’s possible he hasn’t yet recovered from that one). In my defense – he was overdo a haircut and his cute little hairs were a BIT curly on the ends – plus the neighbor kids bought it and I must have had a good half dozen people in awe of my newly produced sister .

No comments:

Post a Comment