Thursday, March 31, 2011

Five Words from Jensen’s World

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Jensen is turning into a little South African.

Sweetie = Candy

Although this seems like a term for endearment, it’s actually what Jensen now calls “candy.”

Example: “Mama, can I have a sweetie?” (I have to remind myself she’s not asking for a boyfriend)


Biscuit = Cookie

A biscuit really should only be coupled with gravy or given to a dog, but Jensen now uses this word for “cookie”

Example: “Mom, I’d really like a chocolate biscuit.” (Do you see how wrong this feels? Is a biscuit ever chocolate?)



Fetch = Go Get

Again, I feel this word should be reserved for dogs – but here it’s used when something should be retrieved by humans.

Example:

“Mom, can you fetch my jacket and slippers – I’m cold?”
“No, Jensen, you can fetch it yourself.”
“But mommmmmm…I’m not tall enough. I’m only 4!”



Hey = Huh

Jensen now consistently uses the word “Hey” where we Nebraskans would generally use “Huh.” She always catches me off guard with this one.

Example: “Whatcha ya doing, hey?” (I feel a bit like we’ve turned into horses)




Plastics = Band-Aid

I guess there is plastic involved with Band-Aids – but using this logic, shouldn’t all things constructed with plastic be called “plastics?” For instance…toothbrushes, cups, plastic silverware…Can you imagine? It would go something like this, “Go brush your teeth with your plastics and take a drink from your plastics and don’t forget to eat with your plastics?” Something is not right.

Example: “Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! I need a plastic! I’ve cut off my right toe!”



P.S. I won't go into how she asked me for a "rubber" this morning (yes, that would be an "eraser").

No comments:

Post a Comment