Thursday, November 26, 2009

9 Things To Be Thankful For in 2009

#1 IT ALL WORKS OUT: Although it may not be the best idea to have an estate sale in the middle of November from a third-floor apartment with only 3 days notice – it’s not the worst either. You all were great to come out!

#2 CRAIGS LIST: What could be better than free want ads you can post instantly online? We sold our baby dresser (to a friendly, pregnant Papillion teacher), bedroom set (to someone we realized is a friend of a friend of a friend – thanks blogger), and high chair (to a Russian bride) –all perfectly random, nice people...that did not appear to particularly want to slit my throat any time soon (I've read the Craigs List horror stories too).

#3 BARNHART BOXES: I am truly in love with Barnhart Press boxes and would probably marry them if I hadn’t committed to Karl previously (they donated 100 boxes to our move – and I have to say these boxes are perfect in every way). If you need a local printer, this company is the BEST: http://www.barnhartpress.com/.

#4 MOVING FORWARD: We’ve sold most of our lighting, of all things, which makes this seem like someone else’s apartment (lighting really effects me). I am surrounded by price tags on everything I own (my own personal in-door garage sale - kinda like a home on CRIBS, but not) , and nearly all of my clothes are hanging from a 12 foot soccer goal in our dining room (very odd). I feel like I’m living someone else’s life at the moment – but life is good – it’s all moving forward (literally). We are moving in with our parents on Saturday (to get help with Karl's back surgery on Monday). Both sets of parents are AMAZING and have worked tirelessly to help us. We are so grateful to them!

#5 SIMPLIFICATION: There is something very refreshing about downsizing your life to about 5% of your former possessions (although coats are still my weakness – is it wrong to keep 15 if I am giving away 30 – considering I’m moving to a Mediterranean, sub-tropical location? Should I even be admitting this?).

#6 EMME HAS SKILLS: Our sweet Emme! She can go from laying down to sitting up (see video to right or visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLrRWZbsrRo for larger video) and has recently started the “Vietnam one-arm, rice paddy crawl.”

#7 JENSEN LOVES PINK: Pink tutu, pink walls, pink bed - perhaps a slight overdose on pinkness - it's better than a 3 year old into "grundge," I suppose (see video to right or visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmlR-XlrqtA for larger video).

#8 ONE FABULOUS MAN: Karl is the best. For Thanksgiving he got up early to feed Emme, and I slept in till 10 am. I haven’t done that in years! I couldn’t ask for a better husband.

#9 1621 – The year of the first Thanksgiving. This is my favorite holiday (who doesn’t love the only holiday built in with a 4 day weekend that includes the best meal of the year?). Wikipedia says Thanksgiving is “historically a religious observation to give thanks to God.” Not a bad idea, I say. Not bad at all.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment