Thursday, December 17, 2009

Three Things I Said I’d Never Do (and Do)

#1. Own and proudly drive a mini van.

Yes, I am here to say boldly, “My name is Julie Ostrand and I drive a mini van.”

For years I said “Never, ever would I drive something so unashamedly predictable as a mini van.” I remember thinking in my college years, “It should not be legal for these Mini Van Stressed Out Moms to have daily access to that much horsepower. It simply isn’t safe for other drivers.”

Perhaps. But I have to say…I LOVE IT. The room, the convenience, the sliding doors. It’s great! And my mini van is not one of the newer-attempting-to–be-cooler models. Oh no…it’s hunter green, bought used, and nearly 10 years old. It’s perfect – and if Africa doesn’t work out – I am fully prepared to live out of my mini van till Jensen graduates. It’s that spectacular.

#2. Put my children in a ridiculous number of simultaneous activities.

I totally caved and am not the slightest bit proud of myself. I thought it would take till my daughter was at least 10 for me to be running around like a crazy person with Jensen’s activities – but at the tender age of three years old I had this child in gymnastics, dance and Kindermusik. What? Is that really necessary? Certainly not.

You would think I could conjure up some twirling, somersaulting singing-dancing-wonder moves at home….enough to impress a three year old…but clearly I lack some serious skills (and this is by no means a complete list of my skills deficit).

#3. Let my children wear anything with “characters.”

I am not a big fan of cartoon characters on clothing for my kids (it’s great for yours). Maybe an adult retro Popeye T-shirt is alright – but characters like Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, and Big Bird should stay far away from my daughter’s wardrobe.

Unfortunately, I seriously underestimated the Power of Princess. Princess, princess, princess. I admit, with some hesitation and not a little discomfort, that at this minute my daughter is enthusiastically wearing her princess jammies (complete with Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White – with their knowing smiles, perfect cheekbones and strangely timeless outfits). She wants to wear it everywhere, all day, every day. I have no energy to fight the womanly wiles of Disney Princesses.


It's a moot point to mention that up until about a year ago - I said I'd never go to Africa. Ha! So if you think you'll never go to Africa...


On a side note, here are things I said I’d do but haven’t (yet): Learn another language, bake a cake (I refuse to bake a casserole under any circumstance), read Tolstoy, memorize the Constitution, visit every state, muster up the energy to count calories and exercise, check out books from the library (instead of buying them), be on time to everything, say no once in a while, ignore Double Stuff Oreos, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment