Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Three Things I Wonder About Africa

#1 Are the sharks really that bad? Known as “Great White Shark capital of the world” I have to ask myself, “What are the chances that me and my bite-size daughters could walk more than 2 inches into the ocean without loosing a couple of limbs or vital organs?”

Just an FYI - if you're wondering which non-vital organs you could offer to a Great White (in hopes of luring it away from your so-called vital organs), that would be your spleen, eyes, and bladder. I may have to wait for a weak moment – when I’m no longer concerned about my immune system, ability to see, or preference to empty bodily fluids of my own volition.



#2 What are the possible benefits of driving on the left side of the road? I realize the Romans, with the first road system, drove on the left side of the road, and a few argue it’s safer (some nonsense about humans being mostly right-eye dominant). I thought I’d never say this…but I have to side with the French on this one…the right is just the natural order of the universe. And to make it more confusing – instead of saying the “left side” or the “right side" – they say the “nearside” and “offside.” WHAT? I barely know my rights and lefts as it is…


#3 What’s up with the baboons in the cars and kitchens? Yes…you heard that right. Cape Town has a monkey problem. Apparently they know how to open car doors, break into houses and raid a fridge. I’m not entirely confident in my kung-fu monkey fighting skills at 2 am in my jammies. See the news story: http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2009-11-24-baboons-south-africa_N.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment