Tuesday, June 22, 2010

4 Clicks Out

As my father would say…sometimes “you’re a few clicks out.”

For example...the women in Ocean View and me – I’m 4 clicks out (a click is how far removed you are from a situation).

1st Click: I am from America.

Not only am I not from Cape Town, South Africa or even the continent of Africa – I’m from America. This means I cannot help but think like an American. For example...



  • American Football – Give me Football over soccer any day– sorry about that, husband and World Cup! Gotta love a 45 – 64 point game over a “nail biter 1-0” soccer match– someone DO SOMETHING ALREADY! And what’s more fascinating at the moment than College Football Conference drama?
  • I like ice in my Coke - With 5 free refills please. What is this midget Coke can you’re bringing me yet again? What can I possibly do with 5 ounces of Coke (US standard can is 12 ounces)?
  • Home design that includes more than one plug in a room - I know I’ve mentioned this one before and really should just let it die– but I can’t come to terms with the morality of only one outlet per room. I think I finally said too much on the topic to my South African team mate. He said “Julie – why don’t you just go to a hotel?” I said “Why? It’s still a South African room with only ONE plug!!??!” I know I should let some Americaness go – but for crying out loud!
  • Converting money into US dollars – 100 R still doesn’t mean a whole lot to me, and I feel like I’m using Monopoly money for all of my transactions (I don’t think in Rand yet and convert everything to dollars in my head by dividing by 7.5)
  • June will always be a summer month to me - Here in the southern hemisphere the seasons are swapped and my daughter's June 29 summer birthday is now a winter birthday. Thanksgiving in the spring and Christmas is in the summer. What??!?
2nd Click: I’m not poor.

While I have never considered myself rich, I have absolutely no idea what it’s like to literally not have enough food to eat, not know what’s going to happen if my boyfriend’s cranky granny kicks me out of the dilapidated shack in her yard, and not be able to provide for the basic needs of my kids.

The kids here sometimes cry to their mom because they’re hungry and the moms will hit their children and say, “What do you want me to do about it? I have no money for food.”


3rd Click: I’m white.

I have no idea what it feels like to walk into a room of white people and be black. I try to imagine it and picture it in my mind – but the truth is I don’t know what it’s like.

4th Click: I only speak English.

Some words are just better in Afrikaans…especially when the women in Ocean View want to share something very personal from the heart.

For instance “lekker” – it means “good” – “nice” – “the best” – but more so. Outlets on every wall are lekker!!



Then there’s “bekeerd.” The women often get tripped on this one. If they are speaking to me in English and stop - I can see they are mentally trying to come up the equivalent of this…it means “to turn and around and be different.” Churchy people say “converted” or “saved” – but “bekeerd” is so much better.

So…as they say in the Princess Bride “Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

CPx is nearing the end…I’ve learned a little bit about clicks:

It can be great to be a few clicks out. People sometimes respect the fact that you have a whole new perspective on life.

Sometimes a few clicks out is a few clicks too many. Thelma, an amazing colored woman from Ocean View came to our Bible study and was able to say exactly what was needed – having been from the exact place many of these women are.

She told them, “God is all you need. He will take care of you. You think you need a house? Trust God. You think you need a job? Trust God. He has provided for me – he WILL provide for you.”

Somehow it just would not have been the same hearing it from a girl 4 clicks out.


Suretha, Allison, Claudine, Thelma, Julie


I love this God of ours – “a million clicks out” from where I sit – who chooses to be “no clicks out” just for me… just for you . A God who uses our clicks – made our clicks – loves our clicks.

The creator of our sameness and differentness invites us to be fully ourselves (so very different and much the same) while fully His.

Picture that…fully His. Totally and fully His – as He made you – who He made you to be….clicks and all.

2 comments:

  1. FUNNY and GREAT stuff, Julie! As always, I turned the laptop toward my husband so he could read and laugh along! Thanks for keeping it real and for only being one click out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Julie!!! We r just days away from our mission trip to Trinidad...so many things you say remind me of life there as well. It's been fun to laugh with you. LOVE how you reminded me how invested our Father is in our lives!!

    ReplyDelete